Apr 29, 2019
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with Holly Gillen,
professional videographer and owner of HollyGStudios, about how you
can create video content to grow your business. Holly teaches
entrepreneurs and small businesses how to create the best content
for their videos and how to make each video look professional. If
you’ve ever thought about creating your own videos or want to hone
your own video brand on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, or anywhere
else you have your content, then this episode is for you.
Creating Video Content Episode Highlights:
- Video is the best way to grow your know, like, and trust
factors. This is what Holly calls the “Vidcofactor”.
- Video helps people identify if they are not your person, or
right client, with video you can attract and repel the right
- YouTube is at the end of the day a search engine (the second
largest search engine).
- People come on to find answers to their questions; answer their
questions with your own video content.
- Use your video content to teach and empower; create a
transformation for your client.
- The most important part of your strategy for video is to remain
consist, that is how often you show up and when you show up and
what content you are publishing.
- A common issue entrepreneurs have is overcommitting to how
often they will be publishing new video content.
- For audio: the audio you use is really important. While you can
use your iPhone for filming, do NOT use the iPhone audio.
- For lighting: Invest in a soft light or face a window.
- For your brand: add in graphics (helps drives home point and
adds to professionalism).
- For editing: You can use something as simple and easy as
- #effthefluff > Don’t waste my time with a long intro. Leave
out unnecessary information. People are searching YouTube to learn.
Get right to the point.
- Simple video content outline: Thriller
(captivating/intriguing/what’s in it for me), Filler (fulfill your
first promise), Spiller (call to action).
- Have a video content strategy, include: why (long term
strategy), who (who are you creating content for), what
(understanding the type of content your audience wants), how (how
you are going to actually create content - equipment, logistics,
- Promote your content by creating complimentary content for
other mediums that drives them to the YouTube content, as well
.gifs or memes or other fun quick snippets to highlight your brand
and promote your video content.
- 60-65% of your time spent on video content should be spent on
- Reverse engineer your content plan and do it on a quarterly
- When planning video content, start with the client and you will
know what they want.
- Direct content back toward how you are bringing in funds,
remember your content is to attract clients and seller your
- Build up “video muscles” to get comfortable in front of the
- Keep your set super simple, you can change your set at any
time. Include items that match your brand or message. Everything in
the frame should have a purpose. No glaring or distracting or
- Take action. It’s better to take imperfect action, then to not
take any action at all. You’ll never get to where you want to be if
you don’t start.
- Present yourself how you would out in public (be
- Clothes should fit, flatter and feel confident. Don’t wear
small polka dots or stripes or anything that makes noise
- Planning is super important, especially to help keep the
editing process more efficient.
- Video Script Formula - https://www.hollygstudios.com/videoscriptformula
- Makeup vs No Makeup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbpWUS1ON8
- Business Cinema Production Planner - https://www.hollygstudios.com/sales_bcpp
Holly started her career in video production in 2008 as a Camera
Operator, Producer, and Editor working with big industry names
including the Sundance Channel, Sony Music, Nick.com, HBO, Bono,
Big Time Rush, Forest Whitaker and many others.
Her skills and experience run the full gamut from Producing and
Directing to Shooting and Editing, and she has translated those
skills into a range of educational courses and services to support
entrepreneurs in their quest for video stardom.
Holly believes that video isn’t “just” video; it’s your ticket
to a more personalized brand, your secret weapon to cut through the
static in your market, and your best opportunity to have a
meaningful conversation with your clients and customers.
You can find Holly online at:
Website – hollygstudios.com
Facebook – facebook.com/hollygstudios
YouTube – hollyg.video
Instagram – instagram.com/hollygstudios
LinkedIn – linkedin.com/in/hollysugrue
Download the FREE Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle,
check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools
and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start
designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to
help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you
need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including
printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your
head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s
available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The