May 22, 2019
In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with entrepreneur
Amy Rasdal about how she leaned out and started her own consulting
business. Amy shares tips and tricks on how to build your own
consulting business from her own experience and from her own
trainings for women looking to lean out and stay home with their
Launching a Consulting Business Episode Highlights:
- There are a lot of other options to working a 9-5 job, you can
live the life you want to live. Amy works to open minds to the
ideas of what those options could be.
- Just because you work from home doesn’t mean you should make
- The work that you do is important, not where you do the
- You do not have to give up your career path if you become a
- Happiness is a journey. Just when you figure it out something
is going to change. Enjoy the ride.
- As a consultant you are hired for your specific “superpower”.
“Be a Superhero with Superpowers and make Superpay.”
- Your consulting business puts you in a position to be a short
term resource for a company, which allows you to get paid
- Use the term “work remotely” instead of “work from home”.
Allows for a different mindset with clients. Your home office is
- Be prepared to be able to answer “What is your rate?” with
confidence. Practice it out loud. Practicing makes a huge
- To start a consulting business you need a computer, a phone,
brainpower, and business experience.
- You do need to have some experience with your superpower before
starting your own consulting business.
- You don’t have to start a business as soon as you launch. Get a
client and get your first check in the bank, then keep
- Often when you start your consulting business your first few
clients will come quickly, then you have to work to build your the
pipeline out from there.
- The billable work is the easy part, the business development
and marketing is the hard part when you start your own consulting
- Look for clients within your own network to get started.
- Work to constantly to expand your network - always be
- It’s always relationship building that gets you clients, not
the social media, etc. You can’t just “build it and they will
- No matter if you are in corporate or starting your own
consulting business, there is always a leap (sidewalk crack or
grand canyon) - you can work your way to take these steps, one at a
I am a working mom of two kids, ages 15 and 5. I traded my
corporate job for consulting 15 years ago and make more money than
most executives. Now I live a very blended life with almost
no boundaries. I work and play every day. I liberate
corporate working mothers by empowering them to build their own
successful consulting businesses. I’m quick on the mute
button and I can tell you a foolproof way to do a professional
conference call from Disneyland.
The mission of Billable with Baby® is to help you find the
courage to start your own consulting business so you can have the
freedom and flexibility to raise your children the way you wish.
You can replace the full time pay your family needs.
You can find Amy online at:
Download the FREE Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit
If you are thinking about starting a business or side hustle,
check out our Lean the F*ck Out Launch Kit. The kit gives you tools
and inspiration to start thinking like a fempreneur and start
designing the life you want! You’ll receive a guided meditation to
help you figure out your vision, a budget worksheet to see what you
need financially to make a go of it, daily practices including
printable worksheets and daily affirmations to help you keep your
head up when your confidence is waning. Again, it’s free and it’s
available at leanthef-ckout.com/launchkit.
Music: Sunshine by The